Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Run-Down: There goes the win streak

It was a 4-3 loss against the Sharks tonight in Detroit. I was really hoping that the Wings could pull it off in the final minutes. If there is any team in the league that could tie it up and force an overtime, it would be Detroit. But they didn't go down without putting up a fight.

The Rundown...

First Period-

So I missed much of the first since I was busy doing domestic type things like grocery shopping and laundry. However, once I sat down and had a chance to watch the game, I was all smiles. See, I turned the game on right when a penalty was called on Mr. Penalty Box himself, Johnathan Ericsson. Ericsson received a high sticking call and shortly after, Lidstrom got one too. San Jose had a 5 on 3 for what seemed like an eternity, but not to worry my friends. JIMMY HOWARD DOMINATED. He made some GREAT saves during that 5 on 3 which made me do a little dance. It things like that that make me appreciate how spoiled I am being a Red Wings fan.

I thought we were going out of the first period scoreless, but then with 7 seconds left, San Jose scored. I absolutely hate when we let in a goal with less than a minute left, when that happens, it usually doesn't end well for the good guys.

I should also note too, while coming home from the grocery store I called my friend Mike and mid-conversation he was amazed at a play that Datsyuk made that he had to rewind it and watch it again. Turns out it wasn't Datsyuk, it was Eaves. Once again, another reason why us Wings fans are spoiled. All of our guys, no matter what line they're on are capable of making mind-blowing plays with the puck. Love it.

Second Period-

Well hello, Danny Cleary. You owned this period. Cleary scored 2 goals in the second proving once again that the Cleary-Datsyuk-Hudler line is a force to be reckoned with. Cleary now has 22 goals this season, making it his highest scoring season in the NHL. Congrats Cleary!

Patrick Eaves also left the ice very slowly during the 2nd. He didn't return for the third due to a "lower-body injury." Hopefully it's nothing serious. But if it is, at least its before the playoffs.

Second period ended 3-2 San Jose.

I also heard this conversation take place during the game...
"Why is there a semi-truck in there?"
"It's a zamboni."

Third Period-

San Jose made it 4-2 in the third. Needless to say, I wasn't too pleased.

Hank tried to make a comeback on a power play to make it 4-3 and I was praying that the Wings would be able to pull it off and tie the game. They had a few great shots during the last 2 minutes leading me to believe that it would actually happen.

Then. My heart broke. Franzen had a great shot and somehow Niemi saved it. I thought it was in. It wasn't. Sigh.

The win streak is over. San Jose wins, 4-3.

Broadcaster Quote of the Game:

I had one, didn't write it down. But Murph said it. I'm really slacking in the quote department. Sorry guys.

Stef wins the player prediction for tonight's game.


Next up, the Stars. Thursday Night.

Here's an injury update too:
Osgood should be returning next week after his sports hernia surgery. He's been taking shots in practice. Modano will be back on Saturday after that horrifying lacerated wrist and Filppula is skating in practice but is still day to day with a knee injury.

No comments:

Post a Comment